Great news from Bulgaria with the completion of NAV Portugal’s 'Model of ATM Reality In Action' (MARIA) at BULATSA. After just a year in development, MARIA will be used at both Sofia’s Area Control Centre and Control Tower to anticipate hazards and make safety assessments more accurate and efficient.
There's more in the field of aviation safety, this time in Haiti. Thales and Aeronav will provide new CNS/ATM systems to the country's civil aviation authority. This project has the added bonus of strengthening Thales’s presence in the Caribbean region while enabling Haiti to improve its air transport safety.
We're hearing exciting things about the SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking. This partnership between the EU and more than 50 organisations throughout the aviation chain will use cutting-edge tech solutions to manage conventional aircraft, drones, air taxis, and vehicles flying at higher altitudes. Moreover, it's set to invest more than 1.6 billion euros before 2030!
We're also seeing encouraging figures in air traffic volume with ENAIRE managing over 120,000 flights in November. This is just 18.8 percent lower than the same month in 2019 and shows the positive trend towards pre-pandemic levels continuing.
And, last but not least, we have a new episode of our podcast Radar Contact. This week, we welcome guest Christian Shleifer, the General Director at EUROCAE, to talk about aviation standards, including the latest activities around UTM, the future of ATM, and more.
- Finavia has completed the renovation of the air traffic area at Helsinki Airport - Finavia has completed the renovation of the Helsinki Airport air traffic area, which started in the summer of 2021 and cost EUR 7 million. The goal was to ensure smooth taxiing and apron operations of aircraft as well as further improve the management of stormwater.
- BULATSA - Local deployment of MARIA Model within BULATSA successfully completed - After just over a year and despite the pandemic that shook lives and organizations, the project to implement NAV Portugal’s 'Model of ATM Reality In Action' (MARIA) at BULATSA was successfully completed. Thanks to the successful partnership between the Portuguese and the Bulgarian ANSP, the MARIA is now a reality in BULATSA. This collaboration involved training, data collection and the modelling of the functional system used by BULATSA’s to provide ANS and MET services at both Sofia’s Area Control Center and Control Tower.
- ERA - The ERA surveillance system on the Korean 'honeymoon island' Jeju has gone operational - ERA Company is proud to announce that its surveillance system installed at Jeju International Airport on the volcanic island Jeju, the second busiest airport in South Korea, is fully functional. The system passed the SAT procedure in April this year.
- FREQUENTIS strengthens its market position in the public safety sector with orders for integrated control centres Lübeck and Rostock - Frequentis Germany receives contract for the new procurement of the emergency call and radio system for the control centres of Lübeck and Rostock in Germany. Fully redundant, Voice over IP (VoIP)-based communication system. ASGARD product line already in use at 40 control centres across Germany.
- CANSO - Thales and Aeronav to support a new era of safer, more efficient airspace management in Haiti - Thales and Aeronav will provide new CNS/ATM systems to the civil aviation authority of Haiti (Office National de l’Aviation Civile – OFNAC) to update and optimise the country’s air traffic management capabilities.
- SESAR JU - New SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking promises to be bigger, bolder, better - Today sees the official launch of the SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking, marking a new chapter in modernising European air traffic management. Bringing together the EU, Eurocontrol, and more than 50 organisations covering the entire aviation value chain, including drones, this new European partnership will invest more than EUR 1.6 billion between now and 2030 to accelerate, through research and innovation, the delivery of an inclusive, resilient and sustainable Digital European Sky.
- EUROCONTROL - 2021 – A year of strategic developments at MUAC - The annual wrap-up video takes a look at some of the year’s biggest highlights at MUAC, EUROCONTROL’s Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, from a successful traffic recovery plan to the launch of the ambitious 2030 concept of operations, including several other breakthrough developments along the way.
- EUROCONTROL Data Snapshot #23 - The 23rd EUROCONTROL Data Snapshot is here, focusing on flights recovering to 75 percent of 2019 levels, but for passengers, the choice of flights to their destination remains low.
- CANSO - ENAIRE recovered 81.2 percent of flights in November compared to 2019 levels - Month by month, the trend continues as air traffic recovers to pre-pandemic levels. ENAIRE managed over 120,000 flights in November (120,204), which is just 18.8 percent below the average for the entire network for the same month in 2019, the baseline year for data comparisons, since traffic in 2020 fell to very low levels as a result of COVID-19.
- NAV CANADA reports November traffic figures - NAV CANADA announced today its traffic figures for the month of November 2021, as measured in weighted charging units for en route, terminal and oceanic air navigation services, in comparison to the last fiscal year and to its 2019 fiscal year.
Unmanned airspace - Test flights begin in Poland as part of Uspace4UAM SESAR large-scale demonstration - The first series of test flights has commenced in Rzeszów, Poland, as part of the SESAR Joint Undertaking Horizon 2020 U-space 4UAM large-scale demonstration. Poland is one of the four European countries where the project is trialling solutions on Urban Air Mobility.
Unmanned airspace - France and Spain control military drone in same airspace as commercial aircraft - For the past four years, French civil and military authorities have been carrying out an experimentation campaign to explore the operational framework and regulatory changes necessary for further integration of Medium Altitude Long Endurance RPAS into civil air traffic.
FlyingBasket - First urban transport flight in Europe with cargo drone FB3 - An important milestone for the future of urban air mobility has been witnessed this week in the Italian city of Torino, where European leader of industrial cargo drones, FlyingBasket, performed the first urban area flight operation.
Unmanned airspace - Poste Italiene, Leonardo and FlyingBasket compete cargo flight in Torino urban environment - Commercial drone operator FlyingBasket, Poste Italiane and Leonardo have demonstrated an urban cargo delivery in the Italian city of Torino. The mission began from the coordination center of Poste Italiane in Torino, where delivery packages were transported by two heavy lift drones, designed, and operated by FlyingBasket, over the Stura di Lanzo river. FlyingBasket supplied the eVTOL cargo drone FB3 with 100kg payload capability.