ENAIRE directors have now approved their environmental sustainability strategy - it's a key part of the wider 2025 Strategic Plan. Indeed, ENAIRE plans to contribute much more to sustainable aviation and air transport.
In news from South America, Indra has moved forward with its plan to put the region at the forefront of air traffic management. Now, they're digitalizing the air surveillance network in Peru. This is pivotal for ensuring smooth management of flights in the region.
Unfortunately, there is some negative news on air traffic growth. In southeast Asia, AEROTHAI reports a 17 percent decrease in air traffic over the Christmas period compared with the same time last year.
Finally, we would like to share a closer look at DroneUps takeover of AirMap. The business model will offer countries, municipalities, US States, and other drone eco-system developers a tool that will empower them to connect to drone operators - crucially, this will be free of charge to system operators and air space users. Find out more in this article.
- FAB CE - FAB CE puts volatility under the spotlight at World ATM Congress - Representatives of FAB CE, ENAV, PANSA, DFS and ATCA took part in the dicussions, which seeked to understand whether the pre-COVID drivers of traffic demand were still as relevant in 2021 as they were in 2019. Panellists at the event concluded that we are entering an era of unprecented volatility in demand not solely caused by the pandemic. Factors such as more exteme weather, cyber threats, demand for more airspace by military aircraft operators and a rise in political and economic volatility in neighbouring States all meant that accurate traffic-load predictions on the ATM system were far more problematic than before.
- ENAIRE launches Green Sky, its new environmental strategy for sustainable aviation - The Board of Directors of ENAIRE has approved its environmental sustainability strategy as part of its Strategic Plan, 2025 Flight Plan. With this new strategy, called "Green Sky", ENAIRE wants to contribute to more sustainable aviation and air transport through all kinds of activities and improvements involving air traffic management.
- ENAIRE receives the highest score in Europe on the aviation safety key performance indicator - ENAIRE reinforces its position as a leader and benchmark in Europe in air safety management.
- ENAIRE makes progress in safety, efficiency and sustainability with the expansion of its service certificate to include ADS-B surveillance - ENAIRE has received from AESA, Spain's National Aviation Safety Agency, an update to its certificate as an air navigation service provider that extends its scope and includes ADS-B services. This new service will allow ENAIRE to offer an even safer, more efficient and sustainable air traffic management service.
- New Austro Control Management Board with Valerie Hackl and Philipp Piber - Federal Minister for Climate Action Leonore Gewessler has appointed the new management board of Austro Control. Valerie Hackl and Philipp Piber will be manging the Company in the comiing years.
- A New voice Switch at Newcastle Airport in the New Year - Copperchase announced that they have been awarded the contract for the Supply and installation of the replacement Voice Switch at Newcastle Airport. The New voice Switch will be the MEP TCS990 system.
- Edda Systems, Norway, awarded contract with Avinor ANS - Avinor ANS signed a contract with Edda Systems AS on delivery of an ATC Tower Simulator for Remote Towers. The delivery will take place in the first half of 2022. The eCoach Simulator will accurately emulate the operational Remote Towers solution currently in use in Bodø, Norway, for 15 airports in the first delivery.
- SITTI radio gateways to Maldives - The air traffic over the Maldives archipelago is already managed through a SITTI system that was installed some years ago. The connectivity from VCS to the radio sites have been recently converted from analogue to MPLS, hence there is a need to connect the radio devices to the existing MULTIFONO® system via a WAN.
- Indra promotes flight efficiency in Latin America with the digitalization of Peru’s radar network - Indra has taken a new step forward to place the region at the forefront of air traffic management by digitalizing Peru's air surveillance network, key to ensuring the seamless management of flights throughout the continent.
Reports and data
- FAB CE - FAB CE issues traffic forecast for the Christmas and New Year period - Air navigation service providers of the FAB CE airspace alliance and the Network Manager have released forecast traffic demand for the FAB CE area over the Christmas and New Year period. The forecast predicts that although there has been a strong recovery for Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia and Slovenia.
- AEROTHAI estimated to serve 9,440 flights during New Year Festival - Aeronautical Radio of Thailand LTD. - AEROTHAI projected to accommodate 9,440 flights or 940 flights a day from December 25, 2021 to January 3, 2022, however this was a 17% decrease in comparison with last year level.
- EUROCONTROL Think Paper #15 – Charting the European Aviation recovery: 2021 COVID-19 impacts and 2022 outlook - Using the very latest EUROCONTROL aviation data, the 15th Think Paper provides you with an authoritative summary of all the key indicators for European aviation in 2021, and our expectations for how the recovery will continue in 2022.
Research and innovation
- Grant Agreement Signing between VATM and USTDA for the Advanced Aviation Weather Forecasting Pilot Project in Viet Nam - On December 16th 2021, Viet Nam Air Traffic Management Corporation and the U.S Trade and Development Agency signed the Grant Agreement on Technical Assistance for the Advanced Aviation Weather Forecasting Pilot Project in Viet Nam. The Grant Agreement contents were approved by the Ministry of Transport pursuant to Decision No.1965/QD-BGTVT dated 15/11/2021.
- Eagle Project to Vault Air Traffic Control into Next Generation Wins Innovation Award - The way America monitors the National Airspace System will soon transition to a new platform to improve efficiency and predictability of air travel. To aid in that initiative, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University collaborated with The Boeing Company and Concepts Beyond to conduct two flight demonstrations this summer, the results of which recently won an Innovation Award at the World ATM Congress.
UAV and UTM
- RPAS Projects Collaboration panel presents five RPAS projects in joint video during SESAR Innovation Days - The RPAS Projects Collaboration Panel was formed in January 2021 to coordinate research activities, generate synergies, exchange and discuss results, with the broader scope of building a common concept that supports rule makers, standardization bodies, and the industry in decision making and the generation of harmonized standards.
- How much will DroneUp’s business model disrupt the global UTM sector? - DroneUp’s takeover of AirMap will have major consequences for the global UAS traffic management industry. The company’s business model – offering to provide countries, municipalities, US states and other drone eco-system developers with an airspace monitoring tool which will also allow them to connect to drone operators, at no charge to either system operator or airspace user – looks compelling.
Weekly Review #192 - Istanbul airport to service 200m passengers - 22nd March
First up this week, we have news from Istanbul with its Grand Airport set to...
Weekly review #191 - 15th March
First up this week, Indra will play a critical role in one of the most pioneering...