Our first news story this week is that CANSO has announced WAC is moving from Madrid and now taking place in Geneva under a new format. The event will be hosted in the Palexpo convention centre in March next year. Stay tuned for more information on this exciting event.
Next up, a High Court judge has dismissed campaigners' claims that the planned extension of Southampton Airport's runway would be unlawful. GOESA Ltd (Group Opposed to the Expansion of Southampton Airport) was set up after Eastleigh Borough Council gave permission to extend the runway by 164m (538ft) in April 2021. It said the council was wrong to approve it and in justifying it.
Over in Vietnam, VATM has chosen Rohde & Schwarz Series5200 for their regional towers. This will provide them with reliable communications and a state-of-the-art air traffic control solution. "From the controller working position to the antenna, our integrated all-in-one, IP based solution gives VATM highly secure, safe and reliable ATC communications with excellent RF performance,' said Marius Münstermann, Vice President ATC at Rohde & Schwarz.
Finally, the Norwegian airport and airspace operator Avinor and the technology company Indra have signed an agreement to digitalize the air traffic management system for the Norwegian airspace. The system is developed in an alliance with several other European countries and will provide Avinor with modern technology on a common European platform.
- Austro Control prepared for Summer Traffic - Air traffic volume is on the rise in Austrian airspace. Austro Control is well prepared to handle the projected increase in summer traffic. (de)
- Southampton Airport runway review claim rejected - British Aviation Group - A High Court judge has dismissed campaigners' claims that the planned extension of Southampton Airport's runway would be unlawful.
- Gatwick to step up consultation on its Northern Runway plans – Airport World - Gatwick is to start a focused statutory public consultation on its plans to bring the airport’s existing Northern Runway into routine use alongside its Main Runway.
- Poland to build hub airport for added security - British Aviation Group - The Polish government will build a new greenfield airport, the Solidarity Transport Hub, in 2027 to increase the security of Poland.
- Vietnam chooses Rohde & Schwarz Series 5200 - The new CERTIUM radios and voice communications systems will provide Vietnamese regional towers with reliable communications and a state-of-the-art air traffic control solution. Rohde & Schwarz will provide the R&S Series5200, the most innovative air traffic control radio on the market, in addition to CERTIUM VCS-4G, the company's IP based voice communications system.
- Indra to furnish NATO's Combined Air Operations Center in Germany with the most modern communications management system - Indra will be equipping NATO's Combined Air Operations Center in Uedem, Germany, with a state-of-the-art voice communications system that will strengthen the Alliance's ability to coordinate air policing missions protecting our continent's skies north of the Alps.
- OneSky Partners with ITGlobe to Expand Proven Uncrewed Traffic Management Solution in India - OneSky is pleased to announce a partnership with ITGlobe. Through this collaboration, OneSky’s uncrewed traffic management system solutions will now be available in India exclusively through ITGlobe, who is dedicated to ensuring the safe integration of UAS operations and Advanced Air Mobility operations in the Indian national airspace for all stakeholders.
- Avinor and Indra sign an agreement to digitalize Norwegian airspace boosting flight efficiency and safety - The Norwegian airport and airspace operator Avinor and the technology company Indra have signed an agreement to digitalize the air traffic management system for the Norwegian airspace. The system is developed in an alliance with several other European countries and will provide Avinor with modern technology on a common European platform.
- MUAC starts operational use of ATN Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Contract (ADS-C) - ATS B2 Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Contract via the aeronautical telecommunications network is operational at EUROCONTROL’s Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre as from today. ADS-C presents benefits both for air navigation service providers and for aircraft operators.
Reports and data
- Traffic development: April 2022 - ANS Czech Republic - Traffic development in the airspace of the Czech Republic (FIR Prague). Number of movements 2019: 73 331; Number of movements 2022: 47 906; Traffic comparison 2022/2019" -34,6 %
- Kansai Airports Issued April 2022 Traffic Report Of Kansai International Airport , Osaka International Airport and Kobe Airport - Kansai Airports Issued April 2022 Traffic Report Of Kansai International Airport, Osaka International Airport and Kobe Airport served in April 19 829 movements, +21% comparing to April 2021.
UAV and UTM
- Ford International Airport launches FLITE to develop and introduce new high-tech air travel solutions - Unmanned airspace - With support from the Michigan Economic Development Corp and Southwest Airlines, Gerald R. Ford International Airport Authority has introduced the Ford Launchpad for Innovative Technologies and Entrepreneurship, or FLITE, which provides grants and testing opportunities to companies focused on bringing emerging air travel technology solutions to market.
- Japanese ministry approves night time BVLOS drone inspection flights, first in Japan - Unmanned airspace - Japan’s transport ministry has authorised beyond visual line of sight night time inspection operations by Japanese green power company AfterFIT.