First up this week, it's big news for Brindisi Airport as ENAV - the company that manages civil air traffic in Italy - inaugurated the first remotely managed control tower in Italy. Thanks to cutting-edge hardware and software systems, the new Remote Digital Tower enables air traffic controllers to manage take-off, landing and ground operations from a Remote Tower Module (RTM) that can also be located many kilometers away from the airport.
In other exciting airport news, Toronto Pearson International Airport has deployed new air traffic control technology to cut delays and emissions. This new technology adds additional tactical capacity across the airport’s five runways and will help reduce delays, fuel burn and CO2 emissions, particularly in high wind conditions.
Next up, the ERA Company was recently awarded a contract for the surface and WAM multilateration system at the Málaga–Costa del Sol Airport in Andalucía. The contract was assigned by ENAIRE, the Spanish ANS provider, in January 2022. A brand-new version of ERA MLAT system MSS- 5 will replace the older multilateration system.
Finally, the German transport ministry has committed a large investment to U-space digital infrastructure development. The Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport has approved EUR870,000 funding for the Lösungen und Handlungsempfehlungen für die nationale Umsetzung der U-Space-Verordnung project to support national implementation of U-Space infrastructure.
- FABEC learning seminar puts emphasis on digital skills and competency training - FABEC Training Task Force hosted a learning and competency seminar to address controller training and maintenance of skills on 8-9 June 2022 at a hybrid event at Geneva Airport and online. Key topics discussed included future skill requirements, for example to support new unmanned airspace users, and the expansion in digital tools and integrated services. Training experts, senior executives and controllers emphasised the need for continued recruitment and training activity in response to rising airspace demand and increased automation.
- ENAIRE planning ATCO growth to support projected summer traffic - ENAIRE reinforces the number of controllers in anticipation of a summer season expected to rival the record number of flights in 2019
- New air traffic control technology to cut delays and emissions at Toronto Pearson - NATS - NAV CANADA has become the first Air Navigation Service Provider in North America to deploy the Time-Based Separation tool, Intelligent Approach.
- NACO and Rotterdam -The Hague Airport innovation partnership - NACO and Rotterdam The Hague Airport have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that will see the two companies collaborate to develop and pilot new innovations in aviation.
- Greenfield Airport at Hirasar (India) to boost industrial growth in Saurashtra Region - To cater the growing population of the fourth largest city in the state of Gujarat and increasing flow of air traffic in this region, Airports Authority of India has undertaken the work for construction of New Greenfield Airport, Rajkot in Gujarat.
- First remote digital tower in Italy was inaugurated in Brindisi - At Brindisi Airport, ENAV inaugurated the first remotely managed control tower in Italy.
- NAV CANADA deploys new technology at Toronto Pearson - NAV CANADA has deployed a new air traffic control technology at Toronto Pearson International Airport in Ontario, Canada. The technology, called Intelligent Approach, seeks to optimise the time spacing between arriving aircraft.
- London Biggin Hill Airport becomes the latest to deploy Altitude Angel’s GuardianUTM Enterprise Platform - GuardianUTM Enterprise will provide Biggin Hill with a combined view of the airspace in the vicinity of its FRZ (flight restriction zone), enabling the airport to start designing and providing UTM services for drone companies and drone operators.
- ERA has signed a new contract to provide surface and WAM surveillance for Málaga airport in Spain - ERA Company was recently awarded a contract for the surface and WAM multilateration system at the Málaga–Costa del Sol Airport in Andalucía. The contract was assigned by ENAIRE, the Spanish ANS provider, in January 2022. A brand-new version of ERA MLAT system MSS- 5 will replace the older multilateration system. The company will cooperate on the project with its tried and tested Spanish partner SEAIRTECH as the prime contractor, who will be responsible for the actual installation.
- ESA and Inmarsat launch Iris Global to share Iris benefits beyond Europe - Inmarsat inks new contract with European Space Agency to take Iris air traffic modernisation programme global and drive the future of uncrewed aviation airspace integration in Europe. ESA and Inmarsat provide global solution to aviation's capacity crunch and CO2 woes.
- EUROCONTROL’s Performance Review Report (PRR) for 2021 is released - The independent PRC of EUROCONTROL has published its Performance Review Report, looking at the impact of the second year of the pandemic on the European ANS system.
- Bilateral talks between Qatar and Thailand in the field of civil aviation - Mr. Mohamed Faleh Alhajri (in charge of QCAA), met with Mr. Suttipong Kongpool Director-General of CAA Thailand (CAAT). During the meeting, they discussed ways to enhance cooperation between the State of Qatar and Thailand and matters of common interest in the field of civil aviation.
- CANSO launches Airspace World - From 2023, CANSO will be delivering a brand new global event – Airspace World. It will be the place to be for organisations and people interested in the skies of tomorrow.
- FAA Awards $518 Million to Improve Critical Airport Infrastructure - The FAA announced the second round of the 2022 Airport Improvement Program awards. The grants will fund i.e. construction of new and improved airport facilities, repairs to runways and taxiways, maintenance of airfield elements like lighting or signage, and purchasing equipment needed to operate and maintain airports.
Reports and data
- Asia-Pacific and Middle East Airports Witness Green Shoots of Recovery: Airport Industry Outlook - The report, developed in partnership with Mott MacDonald — a global engineering, management and development consultancy— provides a snapshot of how airports in the region have performed during the first quarter of 2022 (Jan to March). This analysis also sheds light on two recuring themes which are currently impacting the industry — COVID-19 pandemic and the geo-political conflict.
Research and innovation
- The value of Human Factors Integration in ATM change - Egis’ Head of Human Factors, Aviation, Dr Simone Rozzi discusses the trade-off between short term cost and time benefits versus human performance ‘debts’ in ATM change projects.
- Blockchain: it’s not just for cryptocurrency any more - CANSO published the whitepaper “Emerging technologies for future skies: Blockchain”, which provides an opportunity to explore the technology at a fundamental level and investigate how blockchain’s established benefits could be applied to air traffic management use cases.
UAV and UTM
- German transport ministry commits EUR870,000 to U-space digital infrastructure development - Unmanned airspace - Germany’s Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport has approved EUR870,000 funding for the Lösungen und Handlungsempfehlungen für die nationale Umsetzung der U-Space-Verordnung project to support national implementation of U-Space infrastructure.
- Partnership of Global Aviation and Airport Leaders to Accelerate Introduction of eVTOL Operations in Brazil - Partnership includes Avolon, Corporación América Airports, GOL, Grupo Comporte and Vertical Aerospace. Partnership will explore infrastructure requirements to make eVTOL operations a reality in Brazil this decade.
- PLATH, Primoco partnership integrate BVLOS drone flights with regular military traffic in Germany - Unmanned airspace - Germany-based PLATH and Czech Republic-based company Primoco UAV have demonstrated a successful Unmanned Aerial Vehicle beyond visual line of sight flight at Ingolstadt-Manching airport at the same time as regular air traffic in a military airspace of the Bundeswehr in Manching
- Spain publishes U-space National Plan giving key role to defence ministry - Unmanned airspace - Spain’s transport ministry has published its National Action Plan for the Deployment of U-space in Spain, the roadmap for integrating digital drone services in Spanish airspace, identifying key roles for military authorities to mange U-space services for State and military drone operations.