First up this week, there's news of a new airport in Mo i Rana. Three different players submitted tenders in the competition for the interactive contract. AF Gruppen scored the highest number of points, and has thus been awarded the contract as turnkey contractor. The award criteria, as stated in the tender documents, were based on assessments of the categories key personnel, understanding of the assignment and price.
In more airport news, the proposed reopening of Manston Airport in Kent has been given the go ahead, despite planners recommending that its development consent order application (DCO) be refused. RiverOak Strategic Partners’ (RSP) planning application is specifically for the upgrade and reopening of the airport primarily as a freight airport, with some passenger services, with a capacity of at least 12,000 air cargo movements per year.
Next, Copperchase are proud to announce that they have been awarded the contract to install an MEP Emergency Voice Switch in the Tower at Heathrow Airport. Copperchase and MEP will work very closely with NATS staff to ensure a smooth transition into service in due course.
Finally, for UAV and UTM, the municipality of Burgas in Bulgaria is evaluating drone operations and its first trials U-space trials. Burgas is a port city where four organisations are cooperating to prepare and execute drone flights: Unmanned Systems Bulgaria EOOD, Cluster Aerospace Technologies, Research and Applications (KAKTIP), SNC Bulgarian-Italian Center “Da Vinci” and Association of the Bulgarian Aviation Industry (ABAI).
If you're looking for more Radar Contact, you can find the latest episode here. This time, we spoke to Marina Efthymiou, an Assistant Professor in Aviation Management at Dublin City University. We discussed the Aviation Management course at DCU, technical & managerial leadership and more.
- CAA of Honduras will implement electronic flight plan to refund the aviation industry - With the aim of adapting or refounding civil aviation in Honduras, the new administration of the Honduran Civil Aviation Agency led by its Executive Director, Lic. Gerardo Rivera, announces that a new electronic flight plan will be implemented.
- Tanzania handover Rwanda’s upper airspace - The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania with the counterpart Republic of Rwanda signed a deed of handover for the provision of Air Traffic Services in Rwandas upper airspace above 24500ft.
- AF Gruppen to build new airport in Mo i Rana - The Avinor Group - Avinor has awarded the contract for turnkey contractor for a new Mo i Rana airport. Following a lengthy and thorough evaluation process, AF Gruppen came out on top.
- ERA passed Factory Acceptance Tests for enhanced MLAT system in Budapest - ERA announced that it had successfully passed Factory Acceptance Tests for the multilateration surface system NEO which is to be used at Ferenc Liszt International Airport in the Hungarian capital Budapest.
- Eindhoven Airport to implement crucial Instrument Landing System - British Aviation Group - Eindhoven Airport is in discussions to install a higher category Instrument Landing System, which will be included in the tender for the upcoming renovation of the runway at Eindhoven Air Base.
- Crown Jewel or Problem Child? Congonhas Airport’s new owner will face a struggle for coexistence in São Paulo - To70 - Located in São Paulo Congonhas Airport’s central location provides a convenient gateway for travelers to and from the city. When it first opened, in 1936, passengers often complained about how remote and inaccessible the airfield was. Since then, the city has swiftly grown around Congonhas and beyond, such that the Airport now lies dramatically embedded among buildings and busy highways. As the city grew, so too did the demand for the airport’s use.
- Manston Airport given green light against planners’ recommendations - British Aviation Group - The proposed reopening of Manston Airport in Kent has been given the go ahead, despite planners recommending that its development consent order application be refused.
- TRAX Final Report available to view - Airservices - Airservices Australia has published the Brisbane New Parallel Runway Flight Paths Post Implementation Review Independent Review Final Report by Trax. Trax was appointed in January to independently review and make improvement recommendations across all aspects of the Brisbane PIR, with a particular focus on opportunities to limit and, where possible, reduce impacts of aircraft noise.
- NATS has awarded Copperchase a new contract at Heathrow Airport - Copperchase are proud to announce that they have been awarded the contract to Install an MEP Emergency Voice Switch in the Tower at Heathrow Airport. Copperchase and MEP will work very closely with NATS staff to ensure a smooth transition into service in due course.
- Aerospace Xelerated opens applications for fourth cohort - Aerospace Xelerated has announced that its call for applications is open. Following three successful cohorts led by Boeing and supported by industry partners, the programme will now be run in partnership with the Tawazun Economic Council. Startups from anywhere in the world working on digital services and solutions are welcome to apply
- QCAA and ICAO Conclude Training Course on Air Traffic Flow Management in Preparation for World Cup - Qatar Civil Aviation Authority in cooperation with ICAO, concluded a two-day training course on air traffic flow management, in preparation for operational intensity during the FIFA World Cup 2022 Qatar, with the participation of a delegation from the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Idac signs memorandum of understanding with the Aeronautical Authority of Singapore - The Acting Director General of the Dominican Institute of Civil Aviation, Idac, and the Director General of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, Caas, signed a Memorandum of Understanding, Mou, with the purpose of providing training to professionals in the aeronautical area in the regions of Latin America and the Caribbean.
Research and innovation
- Digital towers, artificial intelligence, and the next generation of airport air traffic management - Andy Taylor, NATS Chief Solutions Officer, Digital Towers, explains the benefits of using AI and machine learning within the environment of a digital tower to identify ways of supporting controller decision making.
UAV and UTM
- AMU-LED Rotterdam demo integrates manned and unmanned vehicles - The SESAR AMU-LED research project has completed several demonstrations in the Port of Rotterdam to test different scenarios simultaneously. Involving multiple manned and unmanned vehicles during an incident shows the importance of U-Space.
- AirShare integrates with FlyFreely for a safer airspace - New Zealand commercial drone operators using the FlyFreely drone management platform can now request access to controlled airspace, thanks to FlyFreely’s integration with AirShare.
- Burgas city, Bulgaria, plans U-space trial to support commercial drone services - Unmanned airspace - The municipality of Burgas in Bulgaria is evaluating drone operations and its first trials U-space trials. Burgas is a port city where four organisations are cooperating to prepare and execute drone flights: Unmanned Systems Bulgaria EOOD, Cluster Aerospace Technologies, Research and Applications, SNC Bulgarian-Italian Center “Da Vinci” and Association of the Bulgarian Aviation Industry, says a report by Faragency.