First up this week, it's big news for European aviation as Iceland and EUROCONTROL have signed a Transitional Agreement marking Iceland’s intention to become a Member State of the Organisation on 1 January 2025. The Transitional Agreement was signed in Reykjavik by Mr Jon Gunnar Jonsson, Director General of the Icelandic Transport Authority and Eamonn Brennan, Director General of EUROCONTROL. Under the terms of the Agreement, Iceland will be able to participate in the tasks and activities of EUROCONTROL and also be present as an Observer in the decision-making and working groups.
Next up, the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) is the first to add ADB SAFEGATE’s latest advanced visual docking guidance system (A-VDGS) – the Safedock FleX. The airport has ordered 42 Safedock FleX systems to replace older A-VDGS on Terminal B gates, as part of an airport-wide technology refresh aimed at improving operational performance and the passenger experience.
In other news, ENAIRE are looking to upgrade ATM support systems. The Council of Ministers has authorised the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and the Urban Agenda (MITMA) to contract the operational support for the systems that aid with air traffic management in Spain for a total of 47,991,076 euros (taxes not included). ENAIRE, the national air navigation service provider, is taking this step as part of its Strategic Plan, the 2025 Flight Plan.
Finally, Thales demonstrated its integrated UAV Traffic Management (UTM) and drone Remote Identification solutions for the first time in Taiwan, witnessed by Mr. Wang, Kwo-Tsai, Minister of Transportation and Communications, and key delegations from Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA). The successful drone flight took place in Hsinchu, Jianshi Township, as part of a project commissioned by Chunghwa Post and the Coretronic Intelligent Robotics Corporation (CIRC) on the study of logistics with remote UAVs.
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport to deploy latest automated docking technology from ADB SAFEGATE - The Dallas Fort Worth International Airport is the first to add ADB SAFEGATE’s latest advanced visual docking guidance system. The airport has ordered 42 Safedock FleX systems to replace older A-VDGS on Terminal B gates, as part of an airport-wide technology refresh aimed at improving operational performance and the passenger experience.
- South Africa’s ATNS to go live with Aireon data in 2023 - CANSO - South Africa’s Air Traffic and Navigation Services has launched operational trials of Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data, clearing the way for full operational implementation in April 2023.
- ENAIRE to upgrade ATM support systems - The Council of Ministers has authorised the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and the Urban Agenda to contract the operational support for the systems that aid with air traffic management in Spain for a total of 47,991,076 euros . ENAIRE is taking this step as part of its Strategic Plan, the 2025 Flight Plan.
- Turbulent times – academics and experts seek solutions for more resilient air traffic management - Around 100 participants from all over Europe and America attended the research workshop Single European Sky and Resilience in ATM in Sofia, Bulgaria. Organised by Danube FAB, FABEC and the German Aviation Research Society, the workshop brought together senior academics, high-level industry experts and regulators to exchange views on how to manage increasing uncertainty in air traffic management.
- Innovative Algorithms Reducing ATCO Workload – Skysoft - Skyguide and SKYSOFT-ATM in collaboration with Leonardo, NATS and HungaroControl completed real time simulations at skyguide premises in Geneva, Switzerland, mid of June. This RTS has been conducted in the frame of Solution 96 “Attention Guidance” within SESAR 2020 Project PJ.10-W2 PROSA addressing the reduction of ATCO workload using an innovative algorithm at the controller working position.
- V4+ airports present a plan for further cooperation - Representatives from dozens of airports from 15 countries met in Warsaw during AIR 2022 – Airport Innovation Roundtable for Central Europe, to discuss the future of the aviation market. It was the biggest conference on the aviation industry in Central Europe.
- Thales Showcases the Safe and Efficient Management of Drones in Taiwanese Airspace - Thales demonstrated its integrated UAV UTM and drone Remote Identification solutions for the first time in Taiwan, witnessed by Mr. Wang, Kwo-Tsai, Minister of Transportation and Communications, and key delegations from Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration.
- UFA Announces Extension of Israel Airports Authority Contract - Under the contract extension, UFA will continue to advance IAA’s simulation training capabilities through ongoing software maintenance and enhancements, legacy hardware system replacement, and technical support to IAA.
- Iceland to join EUROCONTROL – Transitional Agreement signed - Iceland and EUROCONTROL have today signed a Transitional Agreement marking Iceland’s intention to become a Member State of the Organisation on 1 January 2025.
- Participate in the 1st edition of the Air Traffic Management business ideas contest - ENAIRE launches this year the 1st edition of the Air Traffic Management business ideas contest. The objective of the contest is to promote entrepreneurial initiative and promote the transformation of business ideas into real companies. To this end, this contest aims to promote and develop ideas in their initial stages.
Reports and data
- Almost 2.2 million passengers at Brussels Airport in August - The total number of movements in August 2022 reached 17,882, an increase of 27% compared to August 2021 but still down 17% on August 2019, before the crisis.
- Aena closes August 2022 with 92.6 per cent passenger recovery - British Aviation Group - The Aena airport network has closed August 2022 with 223,260 aircraft in operation, which is equivalent to a recovery of 95.1 per cent compared to 2019
- Passenger Volume Continues to Grow at Airport Authority Hong Kong in August - Airport Authority Hong Kong today released traffic figures of Hong Kong International Airport for August 2022. Flight movements decreased by 11.3% to 11,390 compared to the same month last year.
Research and innovation
- Aviation Studies Institute published the white paper: Advanced Concepts of Operation - The Aviation Studies Institute has commissioned Surbana Jurong with an appraisal of the key air traffic management initiatives of relevance to Southeast Asia and the challenges that need to be overcome to implement them. This white paper highlights the challenges faced by regional stakeholders and aids the broader industry to implement relevant solutions.
- The Aviation Studies Institute publishes a review of developments in Southeast Asia towards Advanced ATM Concepts of Operation - CANSO - The Aviation Studies Institute publishes a review of developments in Southeast Asia towards Advanced ATM Concepts of Operation
UAV and UTM
- SESAR U-space research defines information exchange with airspace management - Unmanned airspace - Europe’s SESAR AURA modernisation project defined requirements for U-space information exchange with airspace management, developed a new concept of operations and validated the data exchanges through SWIM to create a collaborative environment, according to the recently published SESAR U-space brochure.