First up this week, Indra is set to acquire the Air Traffic Management line of business from within Selex ES Inc. (Leonardo Group) and is set to incorporate it into Indra Air Traffic Inc. Selex has installed air traffic navigation systems in 110 countries. The acquisition will enhance Indra’s product portfolio with solutions such as the only Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) fully qualified by US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), a recognized VOR used for en-route and approach navigation, and a TACAN, providing navigational information to military and civilian aircraft.
Next, Leidos, a FORTUNE® 500 science and technology leader, announced the first Terminal Flight Data Manager (TFDM) system operational at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE). The system, developed for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), will reduce runway departure queues and allow for streamlined operations in the airport's air traffic control tower.
In other news, Rohde & Schwarz has successfully completed acceptance tests for Switzerland’s first Mobile Air Traffic Control Radio System (M.A.R.S.) project. Rohde & Schwarz has recently, in close collaboration with Skyguide, developed and delivered a customized mobile ATC shelter as part of the Mobile ATC Radio System (M.A.R.S.) project. The shelter includes a complete CERTIUM radio system, as well as a unique 24 volt on-board battery system that enables the shelter to operate without power for three hours.
Finally, AGS Airports has announced an agreement with ZeroAvia to explore the development of hydrogen fuel infrastructure and the regulatory framework requirements and resourcing required for delivering zero-emission flights from Aberdeen and Glasgow airports. The team at AGS, which owns and operates Aberdeen, Glasgow and Southampton airports, will work closely with ZeroAvia’s specialist airport infrastructure team to assess the opportunities for hydrogen production onsite, as well as exploring potential commercial routes.
Ready for more Radar Contact? This week we spoke to Samuli Suokas, founder of Lektor Consulting which trains air traffic controllers worldwide. We spoke about the guest's journey from being an ATCO to now, the purpose of Lektor Consulting and more. Click here to listen.
- Efficient airspace brings many benefits – and in this area Finland is one of the top countries in Europe - Every day, there are an average of about 500 takeoffs and landings at Helsinki Airport alone. In addition to this, there are flights to more than 20 other airports in Finnish airspace plus a large number of overflights. In order for everything to run smoothly, Fintraffic’s professionals must provide effective planning and air navigation services, and engage in close cooperation with other domestic and international operators.
- BULATSA and Airbus DS Conducted a Validation on Project PJ.18 Wave 2 4D Skyways of SESAR 2020 Programme - In the implementation work on project PJ.18-W2-Sol53 Improved Ground Trajectory Predictions enabling future automation tools, from the SESAR 2020 programme, BULATSA and Airbus Defense&Space are working on the development of the prototype TESLA – Tactical Encounter SoLver Assistant.
- Middle East aviation market will exceed the pre-pandemic level - In the first four months of 2022, AACO member airlines increased their passenger traffic by 240%, thereby returning up to 82% of their scheduled flights.
- FAB CE ANSPs contribute to InterFAB Sofia workshop on resilience in ATM - FAB CE took part in the InterFAB research workshop SES and Resilience in ATM in Sofia. The workshop brought together senior academics, high-level industry experts and regulators to exchange views on how to manage increasing uncertainty in air traffic management.
- AGS Airports to explore the development of hydrogen fuel infrastructure – Airport World - AGS Airports today announced an agreement with ZeroAvia to explore the development of hydrogen fuel infrastructure, regulatory framework requirements and resourcing required for delivering zero-emission flights from Aberdeen and Glasgow airports.
- Edinburgh Airport flight paths to be debated at Westminster today - British Aviation Group - The previous plans which Edinburgh Airport submitted were rejected by the CAA in October 2018. The whole process had to be restarted and go through the new stages which are part of the national air space planning known as CAP1616. The CAA plans to begin a formal consultation for the CAP1616 review this winter.
- ATCA GLOBAL - Leidos Deploys New Terminal Flight Management Capability - Leidos announced the first Terminal Flight Data Manager system operational at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. The system, developed for the FAA, will reduce runway departure queues and allow for streamlined operations in the airport's air traffic control tower.
- Altitude Angel’s GuardianUTM Platform to Power the First Middle East UAS Test Centre - Altitude Angel has been chosen to provide the UTM services to the Middle East’s first-ever test site for unmanned aerial systems & counter unmanned aerial systems which has been officially opened in Jordan.
- Rohde & Schwarz starts delivery of innovative air-liftable ATC radio system for Skyguide - CANSO - Rohde & Schwarz has successfully completed acceptance tests for Switzerland’s first Mobile Air Traffic Control Radio System (M.A.R.S.) project.
- Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport ready for expected growth with FREQUENTIS digital tower solution - Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Tower has been replaced by a new tower fitted with an integrated digital tower solution from Frequentis. The digital tower solution consists of an IP voice communication solution, integrated recording and digital terminal information and weather services, ensuring controllers have modern, digital solutions to support the additional growth expected to the region, including space for eight controllers.
- Indra signs binding agreement to acquire from Leonardo, Selex ES Inc’s Air Traffic Management line of business to enter the USA and consolidate its global leadership - Indra, a leading global technological engineering technology for the aerospace, defence and mobility sectors, has acquired the Air Traffic Management line of business from within Selex ES Inc. (Leonardo Group) and is set to incorporate it into Indra Air Traffic Inc.
- Idac and ProDominicana agree to implement single window in aeronautical procedures - The Dominican Institute of Civil Aviation and the Dominican Export and Investment Center will work in the necessary procedures so that the permit manoeuvre related with the aeronautical services work in an agile way and confident in behalf of the investor works to guarantee fluidity, security, transparency and efficiency to all the procedures.
Research and innovation
- Think supports EUROCONTROL on Virtual Centres SESAR project - Think Research has suported EUROCONTROL on their role leading the development of operational concept for Virtual Centres within SESAR (PJ32).
UAV and UTM
- SESAR ERICA research project demonstrates detect and avoid in live flight demonstration - Unmanned airspace - The SESAR ERICA project team demonstrated detect and avoid capabilities by manned and unmanned aircraft in live flight demonstration led by Saab and featuring UMS Skeldar and Trafikverket.
- Germany awards EUR0.87 million grant to LUV consortium to support U-space research - Unmanned airspace - To support the implementation of U-space in Germany, a project consortium made up of representatives from public authorities, research and industry is concentrating its expertise in the joint project LUV: Solutions and recommendations for action to implement the U-space regulation in national law.