First up this week, Indra will play a critical role in one of the most pioneering projects for the air traffic management industry. From 2024, Hungarian air navigation service provider HungaroControl aims to remotely manage Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport from a state-of-the-art digital remote tower centre located outside of the airport area. Indra will provide a complete and integrated technology platform for the centre. The system has been successfully approved in the first factory acceptance test and is already being deployed on-site.
Next, FREQUENTIS and LVNL have extended their integrated tower solution at Amsterdam Schiphol airport. LVNL, the ANSP of the Netherlands, has been completing a tower modernisation program with Frequentis since 2017 to modernise its end-to-end tower infrastructure, starting with replacing paper flight strips with an Electronic Flight Strips System (EFSS), the Frequentis smartSTRIPS system. “The Frequentis state-of-the-art ATM platform, MosaiX, for Amsterdam Schiphol airport tower has laid the foundation for more organised data exchange between applications through the MosaiX service bus. It also simplifies the integration of future applications,” says Marcel Bakker, General Manager Systems & Infrastructure at LVNL.
In other news, Dubai Air Navigation Services (dans) and Germany’s DFS Aviation Services (DAS) have inked a contract for the supply of Air Traffic Control systems that will enhance the capabilities and quality standards of the city’s airspace. To handle the exponential growth of Dubai and the need for state-of-the-art systems to cope with the high requirements in Air Traffic Management, dans is keen to continuously develop its air traffic control and management infrastructure to partake in the foresighted demand.
Finally, Saab has successfully completed the Advanced Surface Movement Guidance and Control System (A-SMGCS) project for Uljin and Muan airport in South Korea, including placement of multilateration (MLAT) sensors with Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) capability. The project is completed by the signing of the site acceptance test protocols.
- SITA’s datalink services are set to improve airspace efficiency in Serbia and Montenegro - SMATSA will deploy SITA’s ATN / VDLm2 solution to enhance air traffic control communications.
- Skykraft and Airways partner to test space-based air traffic management service - Skykraft and Airways New Zealand will work together to develop Skykraft’s space-based air traffic management service in one of the world’s largest airspace regions.
- FREQUENTIS and LVNL extend integrated tower solution at Amsterdam Schiphol airport - LVNL, the Air Navigation Service Provider (ANSP) of the Netherlands, has been completing a tower modernisation program with Frequentis since 2017 to modernise its end-to-end tower infrastructure, starting with replacing paper flight strips with an Electronic Flight Strips System (EFSS), the Frequentis smartSTRIPS system.
- DFS Aviation Services and UFA supply equipment to Air Traffic Control academy in Baku - DFS Aviation Services and UFA supply equipment to Air Traffic Control academy in Baku. DFS Aviation Services and UFA. Inc. to provide technology and training content for the Air Traffic Controllers of Air Navigation Services provider in Azerbaijan.
- Saab Completes A-SMGCS Project in South Korea - Saab successfully completed the Advanced Surface Movement Guidance and Control System (A-SMGCS) project for Uljin and Muan airport in South Korea, including placement of multilateration (MLAT) sensors with Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS-B) capability.
- Indra implementing the world’s most advanced digital remote tower for HungaroControl at Budapest airport - From 2024 Hungarian air navigation service provider HungaroControl aims at remotely managing Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport from a state-of-the-art digital remote tower centre located outside of the airport area.
- DFS Aviation Services expands air traffic control systems in Dubai - On October 5th 2022, the new state of the art Indra system went live at Bahrain Ministry of Transportation and Telecommunications’ Civil Aviation Affairs (CAA) facilities smooth and without any interruptions. DFS Aviation Services (DAS) and Indra conducted a transition pre-planning phase with operational trials and operator training before going live beginning of the month.Dubai Air Navigation Services (dans) and Germany’s DFS Aviation Services (DAS) has inked a contract for the supply of Air Traffic Control systems that will enhance the capabilities and quality standards at the city’s airspace.
- Indra is set to improve flight capacity and safety in India with a pioneering system that centralizes all air traffic surveillance and management phases - Indra, a leading global technological engineering company for the aerospace, defence and mobility sectors, will deploy an integrated system to centralize all the phases of air traffic surveillance and control in India, helping to improve flight safety, increase management capacity and efficiency and reduce delays, emissions and noise pollution.
- Leonardo’s ATC systems to optimise management of Somalia airspace - LeadInSky, Leonardo’s comprehensive solution for air traffic management, is behind the recent reclassification of Somali airspace into "Class A", which is known as the Mogadishu Flight Information Region (FIR) - one of the busiest airways in the region.
- Unifly and SkeyDrone Sign Strategic Partnership Agreement to Advance Safe and Efficient Integration of Drones into the Airspace - Unifly and SkeyDrone announced that they have signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement. Under the terms of the agreement, Unifly will provide their automated, interoperable, and proven UTM platform, which is fully compliant with the newest U-space regulation, to SkeyDrone.
- Greener flights coming to Italy soon as ITA airways join IRIS air traffic modernisation programme - Digitally connected flights to and from Italy will be available from this summer, as ITA Airways rolls out the European Space Agency and Inmarsat’s ground-breaking Iris data link technology to the cockpits of its full aircraft fleet, contributing to airspace modernisation in Europe
- STR and IBS have been selected by Airbus to deliver a StarCaster D-ATIS system - IBS Luftfahrt und Service GmbH (IBS) and STR-SpeechTech Ltd. (STR) have been selected by Airbus to deliver a Global Reporting Format (GRF) compliant StarCaster D-ATIS system. The StarCaster D-ATIS system is scheduled for delivery and installation at Hamburg Finkenwerder Airport (EDHI), Germany in April 2023.
- CANSO and Infina sign a partnership offering virtual training to the aviation community - Through a partnership signed during Airspace World 2023, CANSO and Infina agreed to be delivering cost-effective technical and management micro-learning and mixed media courses, virtually to the global aviation community.
Research and innovation
- Airspace World: EUROCAE, SESAR 3JU and SESAR Deployment Manager sign cooperation agreements - Unmanned airspace - EUROCAE has signed two cooperation agreements with the SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking and SESAR Deployment Manager. These agreements are aimed at strengthening cooperation and accelerating the delivery of the Digital European Sky as one team.
UAV and UTM
- Estonian Air Navigation Services and Frequentis to launch automated drone platform - Estonian Air Navigation Services and Frequentis will launch a new drone platform, enabling users to reduce manual tasks such as pre-flight authorisation, to further support Nordics and Baltics in implementation of U-space framework for drone services market, according to a company press release.
- RDARS integrates Aloft's UTM products into Eagle Watch software for instant airspace awareness - Unmanned airspace - Drone technology company RDARS has formed a working relationship with Aloft Technologies to integrate its advanced Unmanned Aircraft System Traffic Management applications and features into the forthcoming Eagle Watch V1.5 RC1 release.
Weekly review #190 - 8th March
First up this week, the board of directors of ENAIRE approved a file in open procedure...
Weekly review #189 - 1st March
First up this week, the Czech Republic has joined SEE FRA. The aircraft operators are...