The ATC Tower at Canberra airport got evacuated on Wednesday after a substance suspected to be asbestos has been found. Airservices Australia did put "alternative air traffic control services" in place to minimise the impact of the disruption. One single Brisbane - Canberra flight got affected. This shows a great level of readiness and contingency management by the ANSP. Is your ANSP ready for such a case? Read how romanian ANSP ROMATSA manages contingency cases for Bucharest APP and ACC.
Digitalisation is changing the world and ATC is no exception. From solving the challenges of remote airports with low traffic using remote towers to virtualisation of the infrastructure and the introduction of techniques like artificial intelligence, change is here and its pace is higher than what the community is used to. The following articles tackle this topic from three different angles:
- ATCO - ATCO's view on digitalisation via this series of articles by IFATCA
- Industry - Interview with SAAB Digital ATM Solutions' CEO Per Ahl
- ANSP - Airways New Zealand with a focus on training
- DFS' CEO capacity crunch - unlike other ANSPs' CEOs who see solutions mostly on the technology and flexible use of airspace, DFS' CEO sees key capacity improvements in organisation and cooperation
- SITTI to upgrade military ATC communication systems in Milano Linate and Trapani
- SITTI to install a new VCS at Sorocaba airport, Brazil
- NAVBLUE introduces N-Tracking integrated flight tracking tool - this platform integrates global ADS-B as well as ACARS, weather and other reports.
- Gatwick airport starts use of AI-based video processing to improve turnaround - cameras and AI are used to detect events such as "aircraft on stand, jet bridge connected, doors open, fuelling started, catering truck connected, push back tug connected etc".
- PASSUR relaunched their aviation management platform under the name Ariva - "Ariva represents the complete redesign and relaunch of the PASSUR platform, enabling customers to predict, prevent, and manage disruptions in the air and on the ground,"
- EUROCONTROL published the yearly Network Manager report for 2018
- Austrian Airlines uses drones for aircraft inspections - this is an interesting use case for drones as aircraft maintenance require visual inspection of parts hard to reach otherwise.
- FREQUENTIS on drone incidents detection and handling - Drone related incidents are challenging to detect and manage. From new detection technologies to involvement of many partners (ATC, airport, airlines, police, ...).
Food for thoughts
Decarbonisation of the air transport industry is a long term topic and it will not be solved by a single solution. This EUROCONTROL paper on decarbonisation of aviation explores and compare the impact of various solutions. Biofuels play a major part but optimisation and organisational aspects at airlines, airports and ATC will also contribute to this objective.
Get on the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at email@example.com to get on the radar.
Subscribe and stay up to date
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our weekly reviews directly to your inbox. You will also receive our industry directory when you subscribe.