Airways New Zealand got affected by technical issues with their power supply. The loss of redundancy caused a country-wide stop of take-offs for 55 minutes. The situation got back to normal rapidly and the communication by the ANSP was remarkably transparent and efficient.
Innovation and consolidation
The Adapt-2020 project which aims to predict traffic released a new website which demonstrates the results of various models. The tools allows to explore an entire day of planned traffic produced by the ADAPT models. It targeting the 1st of September 2017 and using as input only the information available 6 months before the target day.
Innovation affects all domains of ATM and communications is no exception. SITAONAIR and the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore will start exploring space-based VHF. This could extend VHF coverage to oceanic areas or areas where classical ground-based VHF is not efficient. Low orbit satellites shall reduce the latency time to acceptable levels.
Innovation shall be followed-up at all levels, including training of technical staff. This is why IFATSEA presented a working paper to the ICAO assembly to ensure that ATSEPs are properly trained in cyber-security.
It is equally important to consolidate innovation into standards to ensure proper long term integration. The fact that NLR, EUROCAE and other partners work on standards for remote towers show that this topic now reaches a new level of maturity.
Tender of the week
Highlands and Islands Airport issued a multi-packages tender covering Air Traffic Management, Air Traffic Engineering, Airport Operations and the Air Traffic Management Strategy Programme. The tender is organised in various parts and HIAL explicitly encourages small and medium enterprises to take part and this is unusual enough to be notified.
- indra will extend LFV's surveillance radar network
- Royal Schiphol Group acquires a stake in Hobart International Airport
- Airports Authority of India starts operation of the new Delhi radar control center - The new center uses indra software
- LVNL will adopt NATS' "Intelligent Approach" system for Schiphol Approach - The time based separation system will be tuned for Amsterdam and integrated the ATM system in 2020
- Colibrex now offers the ILS and navaids measurements using drones
- ADB SAFEGATE introduces an A-CDM milestones display platform - This new tool will be on display at inter airport 2019 and will be compatible with various A-CDM platforms
- DFS Aviation Services web based ATM system passes site acceptance test - The next step is the start of operation at Schwäbisch Hall Airport
- IATA challenges NAV CANADA's new fees - We reported that NAV CANADA plans to increase their fees after the introduction of space-based ADS-B. IATA now plans to challenge this decision.
- UK' departement for transports reveals plan for a national UTM system - The plan have been prepared with NATS, Altitude Angel, ANRA Technologies, Cranfield University, the Satellite Applications Catapult and Thales UK
- [Video] Panel discussion of the Swiss U-Space - This 51 minutes video has been captured at InterDrone 2019 and features speakers from Swiss FOCA, AirMap, Wing and Auterion.
- Report from Swiss FOCA on testing remote ID for drones
Get on the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the radar.
Subscribe and stay up to date
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our weekly reviews directly to your inbox. You will also receive our industry directory when you subscribe.
Weekly Review #202 - $100 million investment in runways from the FAA
First, we have news from the US where the FAA has awarded more than $100 million to 12...
Weekly Review #201 - New terminal buildings at Kolhapur and Dallas
First up, we have news from India, with a new terminal at Kolhapur Airport that will...