First up, there's news from Italy where European Investment Bank (EIB) granted a 160 million euro loan to ENAV. The loan will allow ENAV to modernise infrastructures and systems as well as implement digital remote towers at some national airports.
Next, from Brussels, we're hearing about the launch of a campaign to update the European ATM Master Plan 2024. 400 stakeholders gathered at the SESAR 3 JU annual conference earlier this month and discussed the modernisation of Europe's ATM system. The updated plan has sustainability at its core as part of the drive to make Europe’s economy carbon-neutral by 2050.
From Scotland, there's news of enhancements to flight information and ATC procedural service operations at six Highland and Islands Airports Limited (HIAL) airports. Air Navigation Solutions Limited (ANSL) won the contract with HIAL to install its SimpliFID flight information display solution. The installation project will take place in two phases over the next 18 months.
And last but not least, we have a new episode of our podcast Radar Contact. This week, we sit down with Stephan Wollschläger, Head of Processes and Systems Operations at BER Brandenburg Airport, and Dietmar Weishaupt, Senior Project Manager at T-Systems, to discuss A-CDM at Berlin Airport.
- EIB loan of 160 million euro to ENAV for the modernization and digitalization of the infrastructures - Renew and digitalize some infrastructures and systems for air traffic management in Italy. These are the primary goals of the 160 million euro loan granted by the European Investment Bank to ENAV, the Italian Air Navigation Service Provider.
- Bilateral agreements on the cooperation of BHANSA with the Croatia Control Ltd. and SMATSA have been concluded - Very important bilateral agreements on cooperation between BHANSA – CCL and BHANSA - SMATSA were concluded at the meeting. These agreements mark the further strengthening of ties and cooperation with the aim of improving of air navigation services and flight safety in this region.
- ACAMS Secures Contract with Swedavia, Reforms Airport Operations in Sweden - ACAMS AS has been awarded a prestigious contract to deliver their cutting-edge Technical Control & Monitoring System to Stockholm Arlanda Airport, with an option to also deliver the system to seven additional Swedavia airports in Sweden.
- Air Navigation Solutions wins contract to install SimpliFID at six HIAL airports - Air Navigation Solutions Limited (ANSL) has won a contract with Highland and Islands Airports Limited (HIAL) to install its SimpliFID flight information display (FID) solution at six HIAL airports.
Reports and data
- Ascend Consultancy Weekly Team Perspective: Tony Brooks looks at the interesting phenomenon of On-Time-Performance - Ascend Consultancy Weekly Team Perspective: Tony looks at the interesting phenomenon of On-Time-Performance (OTP).
- Airservices Australia releases September Network Overview - Airservices Australia has released its Australian Aviation Network Overview report for September 2023. Australian aviation recorded 13 per cent growth over the 12 months to September 2023, with flights across all key international markets continuing to increase but at a stabilised rate, indicating that economic factors may be starting to impact demand.
- Traffic figures for September – no year-on-year increase - The Avinor Group - There were 56,138 commercial aircraft movements in September 2023. This is 6 per cent fewer movements than in September of last year. Compared to September 2019, there has been a drop in the number of aircraft movements of 9 per cent.
- Fraport Traffic Figures – September 2023: Passenger Growth Trend Continues - Aircraft movements climbed by 16.0 percent year-on-year to 39,653 takeoffs and landing, while maximum takeoff weights rose by 13.1 percent year-on-year to around 2.5 million metric tons in the reporting month.
- Traffic up in Frankfurt and across Fraport’s global airport network – Airport World - Aircraft movements climbed by 16% percent year-on-year to 39,653 takeoffs and landing, while maximum takeoff weights rose by 13.1% year-on-year to around 2.5 million tonnes in the reporting month.
- EUROCONTROL releases study on the impact of ATM related strikes in Europe - The study was carried out by the EUROCONTROL Network Manager on the request of the European Commission and it closely examines air traffic control industrial action in France, Italy and Greece between 2018 and 2022. It highlights considerable variations between the impacts of strikes in these countries. In total, the strikes generated costs of around €800 million for airspace users, caused around 3.7 million minutes of ATFM delay and resulted in some 67 tons of extra CO2 emissions.
Research and innovation
- Aviation leaders back new campaign to make Europe the most efficient and environmentally friendly sky to fly in the world - SESAR JU - A campaign gets underway today to update Europe’s roadmap for air traffic management (ATM) modernisation. This will contribute to EU climate goals through digital innovation, targeting environmental benefits by optimising how flights are operated.
- SimpliFID, powered by Victor5 technology, implemented at six Highland and Islands airports. - DataBeacon proudly announces the launch of SimpliFID, a cutting-edge Flight Information Display (FID) solution that is set to revolutionize air traffic management. SimpliFID utilizes our state-of-the-art Victor5 technology, marking a significant milestone in our mission to enhance safety and efficiency in aviation.
- Digital skies: Advancing air traffic control with ADS-C technology - NATS Blog - The joint research efforts of NATS and partner organisations including Airbus, Airtel, DFS, DSNA, ENAV, ESSP, EUROCONTROL, Indra, and Thales in SESAR Projects ‘ADSCENSIO’ and ‘4D Skyways’, have provided further evidence of the capabilities of ADS-C B2. This technology has the potential to improve the accuracy of ATC prediction and queue management tools, generating significant safety and environmental benefits.
- Advancing air traffic control with ADS-C technology - SESAR JU - ADS-C B2 is short for automatic dependent surveillance – contract baseline 2 (ADS-C B2) and it is the communications technology that has the potential to enhance air traffic control as we know it, increasing safety and supporting the aviation industry’s target zero objectives.
- Putting Europe on track to be the most efficient and environmentally-friendly sky to fly in the world - SESAR JU - A total of 400 stakeholders gathered in Brussels on 10 October for the second SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking annual conference, which saw the launch of a campaign to update the European ATM Master Plan 2024, the roadmap for the modernisation of Europe’s air traffic management system to maximise its contribution to delivering “the most efficient and environmentally-friendly sky to fly in the world”.
- Aireon Advancing Aviation with Investment in Next-Generation Data Products - Aireon is set to expand its data product and services portfolio, bolstered by a new credit facility from Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP). Aireon is leveraging its position to drive innovation in data analytics and products for the global airspace. Under this new credit facility, Aireon will invest in advanced data analytic capabilities and visualization tools, aimed at driving increases in safety, efficiency, and environmental responsibility for its customers.
UAV and UTM
- Thales develops ScaleFlyte remote ID system for commercial drone operations in Singapore - Unmanned airspace - Thales reports it is supplying its remote ID drone system to Singapore.