First up, we're hearing about a €60 million grant to accelerate the modernisation of the European sky. The CLEAN ATM initiative was signed by Paloma Aba Garrote, Director of CINEA, Mariagrazia La Piscopia, Executive Director of the SESAR Deployment Manager, and Raúl Medina, Director General of EUROCONTROL.
Next, there's news from Spain where ENAIRE has received proposals from 32 startups for the first edition of its Air Traffic Management Acceleration Programme. The two startups they select will receive a prize of €40,000, as well as support to implement their technologies at ENAIRE between now and March 2024.
More from Spain where SENASA has launched a project to modernise the air traffic control system for Angola. The project's aim is to transition to a surveillance system that will allow Angola's air navigation service provider ENNA to manage its flights in harmony with neighbouring countries.
And last but not least, we have another episode of our podcast Radar Contact for you. This week, we sit down with Jouhayna AlMheiri, Senior Air Traffic Control Officer and Training Instructor from the UAE, to discuss the perspective of the female Emirati ATCO.
- Bilateral meeting between RSE Kazaeronavigatsia and the air navigation service provider of the United Arab Emirates Global Air Navigation Services - On October 23, 2023, a bilateral meeting was held between RSE Kazaeronavigatsia and the air navigation service provider of the United Arab Emirates Global Air Navigation Services on cooperation in the field of initial training of air traffic service controllers.
- ENAIRE selects the winning startups of its air traffic management acceleration programme - ENAIRE, Spain's national air navigation service provider, through CRIDA, its research and development (R&D) subsidiary, has received proposals from 32 startups in various countries for the first edition of its Air Traffic Management Acceleration Programme.
- Senasa leads an airspace renovation project for Angola - As a result of the agreement signed with the International Civil Aviation Organization, SENASA launches an ambitious project to modernize the air traffic control system for Angola. SENASA leads this project in which other cutting-edge companies of the Spanish aeronautical sector alongside participate: ALG, EAD and La Isla.
Reports and data
- NAV CANADA reports September 2023 traffic figure - NAV CANADA announced today its traffic figure for the month of September 2023 as measured in weighted charging units for enroute, terminal and oceanic air navigation services, in comparison to the prior year.
- HIA records 26.84% increase in passenger traffic - During the third quarter the airport witnessed active air traffic, recording 67,285 aircraft movements, which represents a noticeable increase of 24.48 percent compared to the previous year.Aircraft movements at the airport were distributed during the third quarter as follows: 22,598 aircraft movements in July, 22,909 in August and 21,778 in September.
Research and innovation
- The future of ATM: leveraging computation, data and human feedback - What does RLHF - reinforcement learning with human feedback could for air traffic management industry?
- A new horizon for synthetic data generation in aviation - SESAR JU - A new era in synthetic data generation in aviation may be on the horizon with the launch of the SynthAIr project - Synthetic Data Generation for ATM Systems. The initiative is a response to the scarcity of relevant data for aviation and the inherent limitations of AI models in handling diverse datasets.
- CLEAN ATM (Air Traffic Management) initiative awarded €60 million to accelerate the modernisation of the European sky - Paloma Aba Garrote, Director of CINEA (the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency), Mariagrazia La Piscopia, Executive Director of the SESAR Deployment Manager and Raúl Medina, Director General of EUROCONTROL and representing the Organisation in its role as SDM Consortium Coordinator, today signed a Grant Agreement awarding €60 million to the CLEAN ATM project.
- From ConOps to validated higher airspace solutions: ECHO2 kicks off - SESAR JU - ECHO, the SESAR project co-funded by the EU designed to enable safe, efficient and scalable operations above conventional flight levels, has just launched its second phase with the official Kick-off Meeting of ECHO2 on 29 September, attended by the 23 ECHO partners.
- Co-creation will deliver the 2024 European ATM Master Plan, vision workshop hears - SESAR JU - Japan Uncrewed Aerial System Industrial Development Association (JUIDA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with ATOS, the European Association for Autonomous Transport and Open Systems.
UAV and UTM
- Japan’s UAS development association signs MoU with European autonomous transport association - Unmanned airspace - Japan Uncrewed Aerial System (UAS) Industrial Development Association (JUIDA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with ATOS, the European Association for Autonomous Transport and Open Systems.