The whole ATM community will come together from the 19th to the 21st of March for CANSO's Airspace World in Geneva. Those three days will be full of opportunities, conferences and meetings.
As always, those three days will be long but will also go by very quickly. Are you ready for it?
I've been manning booths and also attended as a simple visitor, and here is my advice: be prepared and organise your meetings in advance. The show is busy, especially the first two days, and you can't just assume that people in the booths will have time for you when you show up.
It is also worth checking the floor plan and list of exhibitors ahead of time; you could be surprised and discover new companies. Do your research ahead of time and not on-site at the last minute.
Finally, take care of yourself. The days are long; you'll walk a lot, stand a lot and speak a lot. Make sure you get comfortable shoes. It sounds stupid, but they are a must. Also, manage your agenda to have enough breaks and time between meetings.
Do you want to meet with FoxATM there? Contact me via our website contact form and we can book something up!
P.S. If you’re pitching for tenders or you need a more targeted analysis, check out our paid subscription services.
- Increased network capacity, better civil-military coordination and more efficient Air Mobility through iOAT, the improved Operational Air Traffic flight plan - EUROCONTROL - The improved Operational Air Traffic flight plan (iOAT FPL) just deployed by EUROCONTROL in partnership with civil and military experts from Belgium, France and Germany allows military flight plan processing, across national boundaries, in a harmonised way – an important civil-military coordination measure at a time of heightened tension across the European Air Traffic Management network.
- Austro Control GmbH - Free Route Airspace to be extended in 2024 - Austro Control is considered a pioneer in Europe when it comes to the implementation of free route airspace. Since 2019, the airspaces of Austria, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia have been connected with SECSI FRA. The further expansion in March 2024 will create one of the largest cross-border free route airspaces in Europe.
- Austin Airport is First in Nation to Get Advanced Tower Simulator, Boosting Controller Training and Safety - Federal Aviation AdministrationLockUnited States Department of Transportation - The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced that Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is the first air traffic control tower in the nation to receive the new modernized Tower Simulation System, which is used for controller training on airport operations.
- Rohde & Schwarz IP-based Voice Communications System went live for New Zealand air traffic controllers - CANSO - Airways New Zealand and New Zealand are reaping the benefits of a new air traffic control IP-based voice communication system following the successful ‘go-live’ on 29 October 2023.
- Skyguide and Intersoft Electronics Services sign Cooperation Agreement for CNS Drone SkyRF® - Skyguide and Belgian Intersoft Electronics Services are combining their forces to develop and deliver performance measurements of CNS equipment by drone, for purchase or measurement-as-a-service. CNS Drone SkyRF® supports commissioning, certification and maintenance of ILS, DME, TACAN, VOR, RADAR and PAPI / VASIS.
- Successful Upgrade of StarCaster D-VOLMET Completed for AirNav Ireland - STR-SpeechTech Ltd. to announced that STR has completed the delivery, installation and site acceptance of a D-VOLMET solution for AirNav Ireland. Building upon the long-standing relationship with AirNav, this project completes a successful upgrade of the existing StarCaster D-VOLMET infrastructure at AirNav’s North Atlantic Communications Centre, also known as Shannon Aeradio or Shanwick Radio. Final commissioning of the StarCaster D-VOLMET system is scheduled for early 2024.
- BlueBear Announces Project to Face the Challenges of GNSS Denied Environments - UAVs frequently rely on the Global Navigation Satellite System for positioning and timing information to fly safely; without an accurate and reliable GNSS signal, their navigational accuracy can be significantly degraded. BlueBear is tasked with developing cutting-edge technology to increase resilience in operations where GNSS is disrupted, which will enable effective use of UAVs in these challenging contested environments.
Reports and data
- In December, our airports served 14,366,358 passengers. - According to the data, the number of aircraft taking off and landing at our eco-friendly airports was 64,086 for domestic flights and 53,679 for international flights. This resulted in a total of 159,542 aircraft movements, including overflights. Comparing the aircraft traffic in December with the same month in 2022, there was a 7.1% increase in domestic flights, a 13.2% increase in international flights, and an overall 10.2% increase in total aircraft movements.
Research and innovation
- Is it possible to test automatically an integrated ATM System? - HungaroControl - HungaroControl boosts more than 20 years of experience developing complex and customized systems, thus creating one of the most innovative ATM systems in the world. While always placing safety first, we constantly develop, test and deploy new and innovative solutions to tackle the challenges of the ATM industry. Collaborating with test automation expert company Proof IT, we spent 5 years developing something unique in the industry: together we managed to automate ATM software regression testing and enabling ATM experts to radically reduce the time they spend on manual testing.
- Consortium showcase national CIS capability in Netherlands demonstration - In front of a specially invited delegation of industry stakeholders, Altitude Angel, Senhive and Airhub will together demonstrate the capabilities of a CIS and how it can be the gateway to delivering a secure, performant, and reliable interface between the ANSP and all U-space stakeholders, such as USSPs, authorities, national registration, public safety, and defence.
UAV and UTM
- Madrid city to form a drone and UAM regulation commission - Unmanned airspace - The TeleMadrid news website reports Madrid city council has established a commission to study the future regulation of drone traffic, highlighted by Bluenest by Globalvia.