Opinion - are global surveillance and remote towers still innovation?
Global surveillance and remote towers are here for good and can hardly be considered innovation anymore. After the ANSPs involved in the North Atlantic, Brazil now integrated space-based ADS-B data from aireon in their ATM system. In the same week, the COCESNA alliance of six central American ANSPs also signed an agreement with aireon. Airports Authority of India did the same weeks ago. The rate of adoption and integration of space-based ADS-B by ANSPs managing large oceanic areas is astonishing.
Brazil also made the news this week with the deployment of the first FREQUENTIS remote tower in the country. Norwegian ANSP avinor also started the operations of its remote towers center in Bodo and the first "remote tower controlled" commercial flight did land in Rost, north of the Arctic circle on the 19th of October. The number of remote towers in operation in Germany, in the UK, in Sweden and now in Norway and Brazil keeps growing.
These two technologies are now established and even if they will evolve, the breakthrough is done. What will be the next innovation? Virtual Centers? Artificial Intelligence in ATC - But for which use case? You can share your ideas by replying to this email.
- EUROCONTROL MUAC and NATS start cross-border XMAN for London Gatwick - Flights going to Gatwick flying through Maastricht UAC will now be slowed down if required to avoid last minute delaying action, saving fuel and reducing emissions.
- NATS report on providing radar service using ADS-B - NATS got CAA approval to provide radar service at low level over the North Sea six moths ago and published a report about this new use case.
- New VCS by Rohde&Schwarz in operation for Munich apron
- Quadrant group acquires Global ATS - The acquisition of Global ATS enables Quadrant to strengthen its position in ATC simulation and training. Global ATS already holds the ATC simulation company Micro Nav.
- DeDrone acquires DroneDefender - This acquisition strengthens DeDrone counter UAV capabilities.
- UK CAA's new drone registration service - The online registration of drones weighing more than 250g (including RC model aircraft) will become mandatory and will cost 9GBP a year.
- Presentations from the EUROCONTROL drones demonstrations (PODIUM) - This SESAR project aimed at exploring UTM and after the dissemination event, the presentations are now available.
Innovation and research
- Zurich Airport and EUROCONTROL simulations show potential for capacity increase - The simulation based on the LORD concept showed that arrival runway throughput increased by between 10 to 14%
Get more from the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. You can also follow us on twitter for faster updates. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the radar.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our weekly reviews directly to your inbox. You will also receive our industry directory when you subscribe.
Weekly Review #192 - Istanbul airport to service 200m passengers - 22nd March
First up this week, we have news from Istanbul with its Grand Airport set to...
Weekly review #191 - 15th March
First up this week, Indra will play a critical role in one of the most pioneering...