The Global Air Traffic Management conference took place this week, as part of the Dubai Airshow. All current topics were covered during the two days of panels: remote towers, UTM, runway capacity, the need for more ATCOs and more. We'll report in greater details soon. For now, two important takeaways which where unanimously agreed:
- Increasing capacity but also more getting more predictability will require more collaboration between all actors: airlines, ATC and airports. A-CDM is a start but we need more and this requires even more data sharing.
- Rules defined by ICAO are a common base. But with proper work, and particularly a solid safety case, it is possible to go beyond. For example, the Dubai ANSP dans shown how they reduced separation on final below ICAO prescriptions. This helped increase capacity at Dubai International airport.
And yes, there were nice flight demonstrations - here is a picture of the Patrouille de France for you.
- LVNL to implement remote towers for regional airports - This is clear from this job offer, the remote towers control center will be at LVNL HQ in Amsterdam Schiphol
- Finland and Estonia implement cross-border free-route airspace - EANS and ANS Finland now offer free route across their FIR
- NATS and the Ministry of Defence reinforce their partnership
- Dutch Caribbean ANSP will integrate space-based ADS-B - The Caribbean ANSP joins the always longer list of users of aireon's data
- German ANSP DFS and airlines will work on a national airspace strategy - The working group has been announced at IATA conference in Berlin. The press release contains an interesting quote from Lufthansa's CEO on the need for modern ATC.
- FAB CE will align its strategy with the report of the wise persons group - The new strategy which will also align with the SESAR Airspace Architecture Study will be launched in the first quarter of 2020.
- FREQUENTIS to upgrade Bahrain voice communication system - The new system will replace the previous one, which was also from FREQUENTIS and is now 15 years old
- Airservices Australia selects Searidge for a digital tower prototype - This is the first step towards possible contingency use in Sydney, as well as potential applications at other Australian aerodromes.
- Nokia and Sirti to deploy a new data network for Italian ANSP Enav - EANS and ANS Finland now offer free route across their FIR
- Frequentis COMSOFT deploys an AMHS switch for Malta Air Traffic Services
Reports and data
- ACI passenger figures for Q3 - The latest statistics from ACI show a continued growth of passenger numbers in Europe (+2.2%)
UAV and UTM
- SESAR publishes the results of the PODIUM project - The project aimed at demonstrating initial UTM, verify maturity and provide recommendations. The full reports and data are now available.
- First drone corridor opens in the US - The 50-mile flight traffic management system extends from Syracuse and the NYS UAS Test Site at Griffiss International Airport
Get more from the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the radar.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our weekly reviews directly to your inbox. You will also receive our industry directory when you subscribe.