Can small and medium enterprises play a role in ATC and airports industries? Recent consulting activities and preparing our market directory bring me in contact with many of the "not so big" players of the market. Competing against the big ones is not easy but there are many success stories that confidently confirm that yes, there is a space for smaller providers. See for example our interview of MetSafe CEO which works with the French ANSP, or this week's announcement by Aeroficial Intelligence having AirBaltic as a new customer. There are plenty of smaller providers ready out there, some established for decades in their niches and it is up to ANSPs and airport operators to look after them and take a chance on them. UTM is a different story, as this is a new market and almost all players are young. Whether you are buying or selling on this market, keep an eye on radar.foxatm.com and on our linkedin page and don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help looking for partners, customers or suppliers.
- Papua New Guinea to use space-based ADS-B from aireon - This is the next ANSP announcing it will integrate space-based ADS-B in its ATM system.
- Better civil-military deal will improve the capacity of Lisbon terminal airspace - The agreement with the military shall allow NAV Portugal to increase the Lisbon TMA capacity from 48 to 72 movements an hour.
- ENAIRE new app for general aviation pilots - The Spanish ANSP ENAIRE introduced a new app allowing pilots to manage flight plans and get briefings online
- First ATCO training course with the new FABEC common material - The five ANSPs members of FABEC released the third version of their common ATCO training course and skyguide is the first to use it this autumn.
- ACI introduces APOC peer review - After a successful pilot with Geneva Airport being the guinea pig, ACI now offers Airport Operation Center review by peers from other airports and EUROCONTROL NM experts.
- White paper on CPDLC implementation status in Europe - This paper by Fokker shows the status of CPDLC implementation, both on ground and airborne.
- Salvatore Sciacchitano elected president of the ICAO council - The Italian will serve a three years term heading the ICAO council.
- Save the date: Digitally Connected Airports conference at EUROCONTROL - It will take place on the 27th of February and is organised together by EUROCONTROL and ACI. Topics cover sustainability, capacity and digitalisation to meet the demand in 2030
- Aeroficial Intelligence provides AirBaltic with their Performance Cockpit - The Austrian start-up will provide its ADS-B based analytics to AirBaltic.
- Canard Drones completed PAPI inspection in Paris Orly - PAPI flight inspection by drones is now a routine at the airports operated by ADP.
- New airspace design in operation at Ho Chi Minh - The new airspace includes point-merge approaches and has been developped by NAVBLUE
- SITTI introduces new field deployable VCS - The new products are part of the company's VCS family and target the military market which need to operate at short notice in hostile environment.
Research and Innovation
- Material from the EUROCONTROL - FAA modelling and simulation conference - The presentations from the technical meeting held by EUROCONTROL and the FAA on simulation and modelling is now available online.
- Case-study on space-based ADS-B in at the Dutch Caribbean ANSP - This one pager by aireon shows how space based ADS-B helps overcome limitations faced by DC-ANSP.
- Progress in VoIP standardisation - EUROCONTROL reported good progresses in the standardisation process of voice over IP for aviation after the inclusion of EUROCAE standards at ICAO level
UAV and UTM
- Final call for drone registration in the UK - The UK CAA issued a last warning, drone operators must register by this week-end or face quite a severe fine.
- Japan UTM system prototype to be operational in February 2020 - After initial trials in October 2019, Japan will implement an operational prototype of their UTM system in February 2020
- DroneRadar app for drone operators in Poland - This smartphone app gives access to the Polish ANSP Pansa's UTM system to drone operators.
- What does UTM mean? - The UTM term is used quite a lot for different purposes. This linkedin article tries to define UTM, its scope and its future.
- AltitudeAngel adds LAANC capability to its platform - Drone pilots in the US can now use the platform to get LAANC approval directly from AltitudeAngel's UTM platform
Get more from the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the radar.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our weekly reviews directly to your inbox. You will also receive our industry directory when you subscribe.