This week was under the sign of innovation and of drones. The 9th SESAR Innovation Days took place in Athens. Besides the demos and conferences, this edition had a hackaton organised by EUROCONTROL, EASA, IATA, SITA, ACI EUROPE and the SESAR Joint Undertaking. Coders worked for 48 hours on three topics: passenger experience, environment and safety.
The drone community had a major event: the Amsterdam Drone Week. You will find links to selected information in the UAV and UTM section below.
Today is also a big day for EUROCONTROL, where the iNM project will be presented to the industry and we will report about it soon.
- BAHNSA prepares to take full control of upper airspace - The ANSP controls the airspace over the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina only up to 10'000 meters and now prepares to take over the control of upper airspace as well.
- Belgian civil and military air traffic controllers now collocated - This is one step towards a closer integration of civil and military ATC in the Benelux area. See the next point for another aspect.
- New military ATC system for Belgian airspace - The Belgian military ATCOs use a new system which is also shared with civil ATCOs at Maastricht UAC.
- FABEC evaluates the benefits of close cooperation - The functional airspace block uniting DFS, DNSA, skyguide, skeyes, LVNL and ANA Luxemburg reports on the network performance improvements resulting from their close cooperation.
- New Berlin airport to open in October 2020 - The new opening date for Berlin BER airport is now set to the 31st of October 2020.
- Key lessons on Air Navigation Services procurement - This post by John Swift give insights on procuring air navigation services, based on lessons learned from real life cases.
- Zurich Airport wins bid to build Jewar airport - Upon completion, this will be the biggest airport in India.
- Irish Aviation Authority awards Think Research a contract to review ground operations at Dublin Airport.
Reports and data
- Dashboard for EUROCONTROL billing data - This new website by EUROCONTROL presents data from the billing office in interactive way. This is a great tool to visualise and understand traffic evolution in Europe.
Research and Innovation
- Dutch airspace laboratory study on integrating RPAS in airspace - The study focuses on integratingMedium Altitude, Long Endurance Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems into European Airspace and to develop a concept of operation for the European regulatory community.
UAV and UTM
- Short video of CanardDrones real-time measurements display - This short video demonstrates CanardDrones application with co-located ILS measurements (DDM, SDM, ...) and the drone's position.
- DJI creates a 249 grams drone - Why exactly 249 grams? Because under FAA regulation (followed by many other countries), drones weighing less than 250 grams are much less controlled. Smart move or provocation?
- EU opens a call for tenders for UAM research - The three main focuses of will be safety, sustainability and public acceptance.
- EUROCAE requests comments on draft geo-fencing standard - The organisation often defining standards for aviation released the ED-260 Minimal Operational Performance Standard for UAM geofencing for comments.
- EANS and AirMap to develop UTM for Estonia - The Estonian ANSP and AirMap will work on integration of drones in the country's airspace.
- AirMap white paper on developing drone integration roadmaps - This guide covers all aspects, including strategy, regulatory, concept of operation and business model.
- EASA present priority rules for manned and unmanned aircraft - Closer integration of manned and unmanned aircraft will need new rules defining who has right of way.
- Use case of the week: drones for infrastructure inspection - The Dutch company BAM Infra uses drones to inspect roads and other infrastructures with minimal disturbances and better safety for the inspectors.
Get more from the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at email@example.com to get on the radar.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our weekly reviews directly to your inbox. You will also receive our industry directory when you subscribe.