With the World ATM Congress only one month away, the air traffic management community is in the final preparation for the congress. One of the novelties this year is the introduction of the Maverick Awards, which will recognise achievement in three areas: collaboration, innovation and sustainability. The congress is the major yearly event and whether you go for the first time or are a long time attendant, you don't want to miss it. We prepared a guide to help you make the most of the World ATM Congress. See you there!
- NAVIAIR selects FREQUENTIS DFS Aerosense for remote tower and approach - The Danis ANSP will build a remote tower center at Billund airport, which will also serve other airports. This will not be for remote tower only, the new facility will also offer approach services.
- SITTI will provide new VCS to AEROTHAI in Betong - The system is part of the new tower and will include 4 controller working positions.
Reports and data
- Irish Aviation Authority reports traffic increase in 2019 - All segments of the report show a traffic increase in 2019, except for Shannon airport.
- ACI report for November 2019
- EUROCONTROL industry monitor for January 2020
Research and innovation
- NAV CANADA will reduce separation on final at all airports to increase runway capacity - After successful tests in Toronto, NAV CANADA will now use seven wake-turbulence based categories for separation of final, instead of only four so far.
- skeyes increases the number of wind turbines allowed to be installed close to VORs - As wind turbines can disturb radionavigation signals, stringent rules limit their installation close to the beacons. Thanks to smarter rules, the Belgian ANSP can now allow more wind turbine installations.
- Second Runway Aiming Point validation by EUROCONTROL for Milan Malpensa confirms runway capacity improvement - The simulation used a touchdown point further down the runway for some aircraft, reducing the taxi time and runway occupancy. Besides the reduced emissions, the new procedure could increase runway capacity by 5%.
- Time based separation and optimised runway delivery in a nutshell - These new concepts, already in operation at London Heathrow and Vienna. These slides by NATS and SESAR present a good summary of the concepts behind and explain how they improve capacity and consistency.
UAV and UTM
- Madrid Barajas closed due to drone sightings - Luckily the event did not last for long but it shows once again the importance of drone detection systems and countermeasures.
- Operational Solutions Limited and Airways New Zealand to buy a prototype of UTM and CUAS system - The prototype will be built at Auckland Airport and will also integrate a Gamekeeper holographic radar from Aveillant.
Get more from the radar
We scan many information sources to keep thousands of readers informed via our linkedin page, our website and our newsletter. If you have information you want to share about your projects, products, researches or events, contact us at email@example.com to get on the radar.