Just culture under pressure in Switzerland
The most significant news for ATC this week did not come from a tower or an ACC but from a court room. The Swiss Federal Court declared an ATCO guilty of "negligent disruption of public transport" in an airprox case. It must be noted that the safety nets on ground and in the air worked as expected and no body got hurt in this incident. The ruling is now final and binding and the fine has been confirmed too. This puts a very negative pressure on the just culture in which ATCOs can report mistakes with the goal to learn and profit from them.
Here is skyguide's press release after the court's ruling.
Free industry directory
A new issue of our free ATM, UTM and airports industry directory has been released this week. It lists more than 400 organisations with their respective domains of activity. Register on radar.foxatm.com to get your copy and later updates for free. Even if this is a small market, there are more actors than you think and you will find new partners, suppliers or customers in there for sure. Is your company listed?
- Canard Drones validates a new PAPI installation in Papua New Guinea
- SITTI to delivery a voice communication system to Myanmar
- Saab Digital Air Traffic Solution to install a digital tower at NATO airbase in Germany
- Swedish ANSP LFV plans to insource Eltel
Trends and long term changes
- ACI-Europe article on factors driving airport business, including internationalisation
- Tokyo Haneda airport to introduce point-merge operations
- EUROCONTROL to phase out the repetitive flight plans by March 2020
- Air Traffic Management Cost Effectiveness Report 2017
Research / innovation / papers
- Austro Control and DLR test wake vortices reduction devices on very short final
- IATA white paper on blockchain in aviation
- to70 on what to expect from and how to trust machine learning in aviation
- UTM demo by TU Delft, including flying in a CTR and priority drone getting priority over a non-priority one
- Airports Council International (ACI) on the stand-by runway concept
Raise your voice
The pace of change in the ATM / UTM / airports industry is as high as ever and each opportunity to have your say is important. Here are two:
- SESAR Joint Undertaking open consultation on linkedin
- Belgian ANSP skeyes calls for participation in the Belgian Civil Drone Council
Data source of the week
The EUROCONTROL Performance Report website was the data source of last week. This week, EUROCONTROL released a new version of their whole website and it now includes a data section. This gives access to even more data than the previous one and is really worth a look. It even includes financial data.